Home Remedies for Tinea Versicolor
Home remedies for tinea versicolor have been effective in managing this temporary and mild infection of the skin. This type of fungal infection emerges as very thin layer of fungus on the skin which causes spots or patches on the skin. When this occurs, the color of the skin changes and may turn white, pink, red, tan, or brown. Hence, these affected parts of the body become prominent. The affected skin also becomes scaly or crusty at the same time there is itchiness. In addition, these areas become more apparent when exposed to the sun. Spots and patches are usually found on the back, on the chest, upper arms, neck, thighs, or on other moist parts of the body.
Fungal infection home remedies
- When infected, it is advised to take daily baths to get rid of the outermost layer of the skin that comprises of dead cells and fungus.
- Make a body scrub concoction using ingredients from your own kitchen. Gently crush unpolished rice to produce unrefined flour. Make a pasty substance by adding small amounts of tomato juice from fresh tomatoes. After cleansing the body with tepid water, smear this pasty substance to the affected areas of the skin. Let it stay on the skin for at least five minutes. Massage the acidic paste on the skin to avoid the spread of tinea versicolor to other unaffected parts of the body. Aside from the fact that the coarse flour produced is a great exfoliating substance, it also contains essential nutrients that can work wonders for the skin.
- The acidic nature of the apple cider vinegar makes it difficult for fungus to survive. Hence, using this typical kitchen vinegar on the skin can prevent skin infection from worsening and spreading. When using home prepared tinea versicolor treatment, it must be noted that it may take months for the skin to return to its natural color and condition.
- One of tea tree oil remedies can be made by attenuating its concentration using carrier oils like olive oil and sweet almond oil. This highly effective organic fungicide contains very potent natural components. The combined mixture of oils can be used as after shower body moisturizer.
- Selenium sulfide shampoo is available in local drug stores and supermarkets. This is a commonly used remedy at home for tinea versicolor. When used continuously can prevent reoccurrence of fungal infection. Rinse hair with lukewarm water and use selenium sulfide shampoo from head to toe. Leave it on for at least five minutes. Exfoliate skin using a body sponge or loofah concentrating more on the affected areas of the skin. This shampoo remedy helps to manage the problem and prevent spread of infectivity. This can be done twice a month continuously to treat and also prevent reoccurrence of infection.
Facial tinea versicolor seldom occurs but when it does it is usually very noticeable. Home remedies for tinea versicolor have been proven effective. However, this should be done under the supervision and approval of a physician.
If you want to get more information about home remedies for tinea versicolor, please click here.